Investigation of the Effect of Pipeline Size on the Cross Flow Injection Process
Injection pumps constitute an essential component for many industrial applications. The main focus of this study is to predict the effect of the size of the pipeline on the cross flow injection process. A test-rig was designed, built and equipped with three different pipelines, 1½", ¾" and ½" diameters. Comparison was made under constant line pressure of 40-bar and line flow rate of 5 liter/min, with a fixed injection pump rotational speed of 100 rpm. The main parameter tested was the injection dose capacity at different pump displacements. Cross flow mixing process is also theoretically studied using 3D-CFD analysis to show the injection cross flow behavior for the same geometry and parameters used for experimental test. Results show that increasing the size of the pipeline increases injection pump doses ability. This effect is insignificant at lower injection pump displacements, while the effect of the size of the pipeline becomes dominant when increasing the displacement. By changing the size of the pipeline from ½" to 1½" diameter injection pump dose capacity increases by 3.24% at 100% pump displacement. Selecting larger pipe sizes for injection ports is recommended whenever possible.
R. Lachenmann, J. Dirscherl, “Advanced performance of small diaphragm vacuum pumps through the use of mechatronics”, Applied Physics A-Material Science & Processing, Vol. 78, pp. 671-673, 2004
X. Hai-bo, F. Xin, Y. Hua-yong, “Effects of structural parameters and rigidity of driving diaphragm on flow characteristics of micro valveless pump”, Journal of Zhejiang University SCIENCE, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 53-57, 2003
A. Kurteev, “Diaphragms for pneumatic pumps, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering”, Vol. 47, No. 7-8, pp. 550-556, 2011
A. Ratka, H. Berndt, “A novel analytical low-cost flow system based on a 0.6 MPa (84 psi) diaphragm pump applied to on-line trace pre-concentration in flame AAS and ICP-OES”, Anal Bioanal Chem, Vol. 375, No. 2, pp. 275-280, 2002
H. Murrenhoff, Grundlagen der fluidtechnik teil 1: Hyraulik. Umdruck zur Vorlesung, Shaker Verlag GmbH, Germany, 2005
S. M. Hosseini, K. Yuki, H. Hashizume, “Classification of Turbulent Jets in a T-Junction Area With a 90-deg Bend Upstream”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, No. 9-10, pp. 2444–2454, 2008
S. M. Hosseini, K. Yuki, H. Hashizume, “Experimental Investigation of Flow Field Structure in Mixing Tee”, ASME J. Fluids Eng., Vol. 131, No. 5, p. 051103, 2009
S. Qian, J. Frith, N. Kasahara, “Classification of Flow Patterns in Angled T-Junctions for the Evaluation of High Cycle Thermal Fatigue”, ASME J. Pressure Vessel Technol., Vol. 137, No. 2, p. 021301, 2014
Bosch, CHP 12V 42W DC motor, Data sheet, 2016, URL:http://www.bosch-ibusiness.com/boaaelmoocs/category/CHP/283/product/681
MetricsAbstract Views: 283
PDF Downloads: 202
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- M. Elashmawy, 3D-CFD Simulation of Confined Cross-Flow Injection Process Using Single Piston Pump , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- M. Elashmawy, A. A. A. A. Al-Rashed, L. Kolsi, I. Badawy, N. B. Ali, S. S. Ali, Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Naturally Ventilated Greenhouses , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 4 (2017): August, 2017
- W. Rajhi, B. Ayadi, A. Alghamdi, N. Messaoudene, An Anisotropic Elastic-plastic Model for the Optimization of a Press Machine’s Auxiliary Worktable Plate Thickness , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018