3D-CFD Simulation of Confined Cross-Flow Injection Process Using Single Piston Pump
Injection process into a confined cross flow is quite important for many applications including chemical engineering and water desalination technology. The aim of this study is to investigate the performance of the injection process into a confined cross-flow of a round pipe using a single piston injection pump. A computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis has been carried out to investigate the effect of the locations of the maximum velocity and minimum pressure on the confined cross-flow process. The jet trajectory is analyzed and related to the injection pump shaft angle of rotation during the injection duty cycle by focusing on the maximum instant injection flow of the piston action. Results indicate a low effect of the jet trajectory within the range related to the injection pump operational conditions. Constant cross-flow was used and injection flow is altered to vary the jet to line flow ratio (QR). The maximum jet trajectory exhibits low penetration inside the cross-flow. The results showed three regions of the flow ratio effect zones with different behaviors. Results also showed that getting closer to the injection port causes a significant decrease on the locations of the maximum velocity and minimum pressure.
V. A. Kurteev, “Diaphragms for pneumatic pumps”, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, Vol. 47, No. 78, pp. 550–556, 2011
M. Elashmawy, “Novel Injection Concept: Line Bleeding Injection Pump (LBIP)”, Science Innovation Vol. 2, No. 4 pp. 37-42, 2014
M. Elashmawy, M. Alnais, “Developed Design for Line Bleeding Injection Pump: Double-Act LBIP”, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Applications, Special Issue: Advanced Fluid Power Sciences and Technology ,Vol. 3, No. 5, pp. 11-16, 2015
S. Majumder, D. Sanyal, “Relaminarization of Axisymmetric Turbulent Flow with Combined Axial Jet and Side Injection in a Pipe”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 132, No. 10, p. 101101, 2010
C. Cardenas, J. A. Denev, R., Suntz, H. Bockhorn, “Study of parameters and entrainment of a jet in cross-flow arrangement with transition at two low Reynolds number”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 965-987, 2012
P. P. Panda, M. Roa, P. Szedlacsek, W. R. Laster, R. P. Lucht, “Structure and dynamics of the wake of a reacting jet injected into a swirling, vitiated crossflow in a staged combustion system”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 56, No. 21, 2015
C. X. Thong, P. A. M. Kalt, B. B. Dally, C. H. Birzer, “Flow dynamics of multi-lateral jets injection into a round pipe flow”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 56, No. 15, 2015
T. H. New, B. Zang, “On the trajectory scaling of tandem twin jets in cross-flow in closed proximity”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 56, No. 200, 2015
E. J. Gutmark, I. M. Ibrahim, S. Murugappan, “Dynamic of single and twin circular jets in cross flow”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 50, pp. 653-663, 2011
S. M. Hosseini, H. Yuki, H. Hashizume, “Classification of Turbulent Jets in a T-Junction Area With a 90-deg Bend Upstream”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 51, No. 9-10, pp. 2444–2454, 2008
S. M. Hosseini, K. Yuki, H. Hashizume, “Experimental Investigation of Flow Field Structure in Mixing Tee”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 5, p. 051103, 2009
S. Qian, J. Frith, N. Kasahara, “Classification of Flow Patterns in Angled T-Junctions for the Evaluation of High Cycle Thermal Fatigue”, Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 137, No. 2, p. 021301, 2014
H. Ammar, A. Ould El Moctar, B. Garnier, H, Peerhossaini, “Flow Pulsation and Geometry Effects on Mixing of Two Miscible Fluids in Microchannels”, Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 12, p. 121101, 2014
M. Elashmawy, A. Alghamdi, I. Badawi, “Investigation of the Effect of Pipeline Size on the Cross-flow Injection Process”. Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 1023-1028, 2016
J. W. Schmelzer, E. D. Zanotto, V. M Fokin, “Pressure dependence of viscosity”, Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 122, p. 074511, 2005
P. K. Selvam, R. Kulenovic, E. Laurien, “Experimental and numerical analyses of turbulent mixing of coolant streams in a mixing tee”, Fourth International Conference on Fatigue of Nuclear Reactor Components, Seville, Spain, 2016
B. Krumbein, S. Jakirlic, V. Termini, A. Mizobuchi, C. Tropea, “Flow and heat transfer in cross-stream type T-junctions: A computational study”, 10th International Symposium on Turbulence and Shear Flow Phenomena (TSFP10), Chicago, USA, July, 2017
MetricsAbstract Views: 518
PDF Downloads: 120
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- M. Elashmawy, A. A. A. A. Al-Rashed, L. Kolsi, I. Badawy, N. B. Ali, S. S. Ali, Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Naturally Ventilated Greenhouses , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 4 (2017): August, 2017
- M. Elashmawy, A. Alghamdi, I. Badawi, Investigation of the Effect of Pipeline Size on the Cross Flow Injection Process , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 3 (2016): June, 2016