Serviceability of Reinforced Concrete Gable Roof Beams with Openings under Static Loads
This paper presents an analytical study on the serviceability of reinforced concrete gable roof beams with openings of different sizes, based on an experimental study which includes 13 concrete gable roof beams with openings under static loading. For deflection and crack widths under static loading at service stage, a developed unified calculation procedure has been submitted, which includes prismatic beams with one opening subjected to flexure concentrated force. The deflection has been calculated with two methods: the first method calculated deflections via relevant equations and the second was Direct Stiffness Method in which the beam is treated as a structural member with several segments constituting the portions with solid sections and those with sections crossed by the opening. The crack width was calculated with the ACI code’s equation with a proposed magnification factor equal to 1.125. The analytical results were compared with the experimental ones and a good agreement was obtained.
S. P. Timoshenko, D. H. Young, Theory of Structures, McGraw-Hill, 1965
G. B. Barney, W. G. Corley, J. M. Hanson, R. A. Parmelee, “Behavior and design of prestressed concrete beams with large web openings”, PCI Journal, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 1977
M. A. Mansur, L. M. Huang, K. H. Tan, S. L. Lee, “Deflections of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Web Openings”, ACI Structural Journal, V. 89, No. 4, 1992
N. J. Carino, J. R. Clifton, Prediction of Cracking in Reinforced Concrete Structures, Building and Fire Research Laboratory, National Institute of Standards and Technology, 1995
ACI Standard: Commentary on Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318R-95), 1995
J. V. Amiri, M. H. ALibygie, “Effect of Small Circular Opening on the Shear and Flexural Behavior and Ultimate Strength of Reinforced Concrete Beams Using Normal and High Strength Concrete”, 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August 1-6, 2004
A. S. Al-Shaarbaf, N. A-M. J. Al-Bayati, D. I. A. Al-Kaisy, “Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Large Opening under Flexure”, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 210-228, 2007
N. K. Oukaili, A. H. Shammari, “Response of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Multiple Web Openings to Static Load”, Fourth Asia-Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures, Melbourne, Australia, December 11-13, 2013
B. Aykac, I. Kalkan, S. Aykac, Y. E. Egriboz, “Flexural behavior of RC beams with regular square or circular web openings”, Engineering Structures, Vol. 56, pp. 2165-2174, 2013
S. A. Al-Sheikh, “Flexural Behavior of RC Beams with Opening”, Concrete Research Letters, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 812-824, 2014
M. B. Dawood, R. A. A. Nabbat, “Flexural and Shear Strength of Non-Prismatic Reinforced High Strength Concrete Beams with Openings and Strengthened WITH NSM-cfpr bars”, International Journal of Civil Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 9, pp. 93-103, 2015
K. H. Tan, Ultimate Strength of Reinforced Concrete Beams with Rectangular Openings Under Bending and Shear, MSc Thesis, National University of Singapore, 1982
M. A. Mansur, K. H. Tan, Concrete Beams with Openings: Analysis and Design, CRC Press, 1999
MetricsAbstract Views: 125
PDF Downloads: 90
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- F. J. Alkhafaji, A. F. Izzet, Prestress Losses in Concrete Rafters with Openings , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 2 (2020): April, 2020
- H. M. Hekmet, A. F. Izzet, Performance of Segmental Post-Τensioned Concrete Beams Exposed to High Fire Temperature , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 4 (2019): August, 2019
- H. M. Hekmet, A. F. Izzet, Numerical Analysis of Segmental Post Tensioned Concrete Beams Exposed to High Fire Temperature , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 5 (2019): October, 2019
- M. A. J. Hassan, A. F. Izzet, Experimental and Numerical Comparison of Reinforced Concrete Gable Roof Beams with Openings of Different Configurations , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 6 (2019): December, 2019