Influence of Coarse Aggregate Gradation on the Mechnical Properties of Concrete, Part II: No-Fines Vs. Ordinary Concrete
This study aims to investigate the effect of different gradations of coarse aggregates on mechanical properties of no-fines concrete (NFC). NFC reduces a structure’s self-weight, thus minimizing cost. The effects of coarse aggregate gradation on mechanical properties such as compressive strength, split tensile strength, and flexural strength were studied and compared at the end of 28-day water curing. A fixed cement- to-aggregate proportion 1:6 with 0.5 water/cement (w/c) ratio was adopted. Four gradations of coarse aggregates ranging between specific maximum and minimum size were used, namely 5mm-4mm, 10mm-4mm, 20mm-4mm and 20mm-15mm. The results of this study reveal the substantial effect of the gradation of coarse aggregates on strength properties compressive and tensile strength of NFC.
M. R. Lomte, “A Review on Study and Analysis of Strength, Permeability and Void Ratio of Pervious Concrete”, International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 1717-1720, 2018
S. Ali, S. Kacha, “Correlation among Properties of No Fines Concrete – A Review”, National Conference on Applications of Nano Technology in Civil Engineering, Vadodara, India, February, 2017
G. Yuvaraj, K. Sundaravadivelu, P. Vembuli, R. Shankaranarayanan, E. Ramya, “A Study on Compressive Strength of Pervious Concrete by Varying the Size of Aggregate”, International Journal of Engineering Science and Computing, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 10149-10152, 2017
G. Divya, L. Reena, “An Experimental Stduies on Behaviour of Pervious Concrete by Using Addition of Admixtures”, International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 2366-2370, 2017
U. M. Muthaiyan, “Studies on the properties of pervious fly ash–cement concrete as a pavement material”, Cogent Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 1, Article ID, 1318802, pp. 1-17, 2017
K. B. Thombre, A. B. More, S. R. Bhagat, “Investigation of Strength and Workability in No-Fines Concrete”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 9, pp. 390-393, 2016
K. R. Balsaraf, D. R. Kurhade, K. A. Varpe, N. S. Lohote, D. S. Mehetre, “A Review Paper on No Fines Concrete”, International Journal Of Engineering Sciences & Management”, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 293-303, 2017
P. P. Pragnya, K. B. Parikh, A. R. Darji, “A Review on Experimental Investigation of Pervious Concrete Using Alternate Materials”, Journal of Emerging Technologies and Innovative Research, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 68-70, 2017
C. H. S. Priyanka, “Experimental Analysis on High Strength Pervious Concrete”, International Journal of Advances in Mechanical and Civil Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 9-13, 2017
W. T. Kuo, C. C. Liu, D. S. Su, “Use of washed municipal solid waste incinerator bottom ash in pervious concrete”, Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 37, pp. 328-335, 2013
B. Alam, M. Javed, Q. Ali, N. Ahmad, M. Ibrahim., “Mechanical properties of no-fines bloated slate aggregate concrete for construction application, experimental study”, International Journal of Civil And Structural Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2012
A. Cheng, H. M. Hsu, S. J. Chao, K. L. Lin, “Experimental Study on Properties of Pervious Concrete Made with Recycled Aggregate”, International Journal of Pavement Research and Technology, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 104-110, 2011
A. K. Jain, J. S. Chouhan, “Effect of shape of aggregate on compressive Strength and permeability properties of pervious concrete”, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Studies, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 120-126, 2011
Z. A. Tunio, T. Ali, A. S. Buller, F. U. R. Abro, M. A. Abbasi, “Influence of Coarse Aggregate Gradation on the Mechnical Properties of Concrete, Part I: No-Fines Concrete”, Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 4612-4615, 2019
M. Kovac, A. Sicakova, “Pervious Concrete as a Sustainable Solution for Pavements in Urban Areas”, Environmental Engineering 10th International Conference, Vilnius, Lithuania, April 27-28, 2017
M. A. Memon, M. A. Bhutto, N. A. Lakho, I. A. Halepoto , A. N. Memon, “Effects of Uncrushed Aggregate on the Mechanical Properties of No-Fines Concrete”, Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 2882-2886, 2018
I. Barisic, M. Galic, I. N. Grubesa, “Pervious concrete mix optimization for sustainable pavement solution”, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Vol. 90, Article ID 012091, 2017
A. Alam, S. Naz, “Experimental Study on Properties of No-fine Concrete”, International Journal of Informative & Futuristic Research, Vol. 2, No. 10, pp. 3687-3694, 2015
MetricsAbstract Views: 151
PDF Downloads: 98
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- M. Oad, A. H. Buller, B. A. Memon, N. A. Memon, Z. A. Tunio, M. A. Memon, Effect of Water-Cement Ratio on Flexural Strength of RC Beams Made with Partial Replacement of Coarse Aggregates with Coarse Aggregates from Old Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019
- A. Saand, T. Ali, M. A. Keerio, D. K. Bangwar, Experimental Study on the Use of Rice Husk Ash as Partial Cement Replacement in Aerated Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 4 (2019): August, 2019
- Z. A. Tunio, B. A. Memon, N. A. Memon, N. A. Lakho, M. Oad, A. H. Buller, Effect of Coarse Aggregate Gradation and Water-Cement Ratio on Unit Weight and Compressive Strength of No-fines Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019
- F. A. Soomro, B. A. Memon, M. Oad, A. H. Buller, Z. A. Tunio, Shrinkage of Concrete Panels Made with Recyclable Concrete Aggregates , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 2 (2019): April, 2019
- A. Saand, K. A. Jamali, M. A. Keerio, T. Ali, N. Bhatti, Effect of Metakaolin Developed from Local Soorh on Fresh Properties and Compressive Strength of Self-Compacted Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 6 (2019): December, 2019
- Z. A. Tunio, F. U. R. Abro, T. Ali, A. S. Buller, M. A. Abbasi, Influence of Coarse Aggregate Gradation on the Mechnical Properties of Concrete, Part I: No-Fines Concrete , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 5 (2019): October, 2019