Numerical Analysis of Soil Slope Stabilization by Soil Nailing Technique
Slope instability may be a result of change in stress conditions, rise in groundwater table and rainfall. Similarly, many slopes that have been stable for several years can abruptly fail due to changes in geometry, weak soil shear strength or as the effect of an external force. Debris flows (i.e. slope failures) take place without any warning and can have devastating results. So, it is vital to understand the slope failure mechanism and adopt safety prevention measures. Soil nailing is one of the widely used stabilization techniques for soil slopes. In this study, soil nail technique is proposed to upgrade the existing slope in clay. A parametric study was conducted to understand the effects of different nail diameter (i.e. 25mm and 40mm) and nail inclination (i.e. 200, 250, 300, 350 and 400) on slope stability. Morgenstern-Price (i.e. limit equilibrium) method was used to determine the factor of safety of the slope. It was found that the factor of safety of the existing slope improved significantly with three rows of 40mm diameter nail at an inclination of 400.
P. Ghosh, A. Biswas, “Effect of Reinforcement on Stability of Slopes using GEOSLOPE”, International Conference on Benchmarks in Engineering Science and Technology, Maharashtra, India, September 7-8, 2012
M. A. Hossain, A. Islam, “Numerical analysis of the effects of soil nail on slope stability”, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 141, No. 8, pp. 12-15, 2016
J. Zhang, L. M. Zhang, W. H. Tang. “New methods for system reliability analysis of soil slopes”, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 48, No. 7, pp. 1138-1148, 2011
A. Fawaz, E. Farah, F. Hagechehade, “Slope Stability Analysis Using Numerical Modelling”, American Journal of Civil Engineering. Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 60-67, 2014
S. Singh, A. K. Shrivastava, “Soil nailing for stability of the slopes”, International Journal for Research in Applied Science & Engineering Technology, Vol. 5, No. 10, pp. 752-763, 2017
S. B. Mickovski, F. M. Lindsay, M. J. Smith. “Construction and testing of self-drilled soil nails”, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 169, No. 6, pp. 541-553, 2016
S. H. Jiang, D. Q. Li, L. M. Zhang, C. B. Zhou, “Slope reliability analysis considering spatially variable shear strength parameters using a non-intrusive stochastic finite element method”, Engineering Geology, Vol. 168, pp. 120-128, 2014
X. L. Chen, C. G. Liu, Z. F. Chang, Q. Zhou, “The relationship between the slope angle and the landslide size derived from limit equilibrium simulations”, Geomorphology, Vol. 253, pp. 547-550, 2016
K. Lim, A. J. Li, A. V. Lyamin, “Three-dimensional slope stability assessment of two-layered undrained clay”, Computers and Geotechnics, Vol. 70, pp. 1-17, 2015
X. Zhou, J. Li, Z. Liu, Y, Tang, “Analysis of slope stability with imprecise soil properties using uncertain sets”, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2019, Article ID 1062347, 2019
Q. Zhan, X. Sun, C. Li, Y. Zhao, X. Zhou, Y. He, Y. Zhang, “Stability analysis and reinforcement of a high-steep rock slope with faults: numerical analysis and field monitoring”, Advances in Civil Engineering, Vol. 2019, Article ID 3732982, 2019
MetricsAbstract Views: 278
PDF Downloads: 142
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- S. J. Oad, H. Maqsood, A. L. Qureshi, S. Ahmed, I. A. Channa, M. I. Ali, Farm-based Evaluation of Sustainable Alternative Irrigation Practices , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 3 (2019): June, 2019
- D. A. Mangnejo, M. A. Soomro, N. Mangi, I. A. Halepoto, I. A. Dahri, A Parametric Study of Effect On Single Pile Integrity Due to An Adjacent Excavation Induced Stress Release in Soft Clay , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 4 (2018): August, 2018
- N. Mangi, D. A. Mangnejo, H. Karira, M. Kumar, A. A. Jhatial, F. R. Lakhair, Crack Pattern Investigation in the Structural Members of a Framed Two-Floor Building due to Excavation-Induced Ground Movement , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 4 (2019): August, 2019