Variation of Earthquake Ground Motions with Focus on Site Amplification Factors: A Case Study
In this paper, an evaluation of the variation of earthquake ground motions with a focus on site amplification factors based on spectral analysis is presented. By using strong motion record obtained at six sites in Japan, probability distributions of site amplification factors were shown. The relations between standard deviations of site amplification factors and distances between the sites were studied. The variations of representative values of earthquake ground motions based on the variations of site amplification factors were discussed by using probabilistic seismic hazard analysis with focus on Fourier amplitude and group delay time. The distributions of peak ground accelerations and peak ground velocities were shown. It is suggested that design earthquake ground motions considering the average site amplification factors may lead the engineering design on the dangerous side.
D. J. Andrews, “Objective determination of source parameters and similarity of earthquakes of different size”, Earthquake Source Mechanics, Vol. 37, pp. 259-268, 1986
T. Iwata, K. Irikura, “Source parameters of the 1983 Japan sea earthquake sequence”, Journal of Physics of the Earth, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 155-184, 1988
J. Boatwright, J. B. Fletcher, T. E. Fumal, “A general inversion scheme for source, site and propagation characteristics using multiply recorded sets of moderate-sized earthquakes”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 81, No. 5, pp. 1754-1782, 1991
A. Nozu, T. Nagao, Site amplification factors for strong-motion sites in Japan based on spectral inversion technique, Technical Note of the Port and Airport Research Institute, No.1102, 2005 (in Japanese)
A. Nozu, T. Nagao, M. Yamada, “Simulation of Strong Ground Motions Based on Site-Specific Amplification and Phase Characteristics”, Third International Symposium on the Effects of Surface Geology on Seismic Motion, Grenoble, France, August 30-September 1, 2006
N. Morikawa, T. Kanno, A. Narita, H. Fujiwara, T. Okumura, Y. Fukushima, A. Guerpinar, “Strong motion uncertainty determined from observed records by dense network in Japan”, Journal of Seismology, Vol. 12, pp. 529-546, 2008
T. Kanno, A. Narita, N. Morikawa, H. Fujiwara, Y. Fukushima, “A new attenuation relation for strong ground motion in Japan based on recorded data”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 96, No. 3, pp. 879-897, 2006
T. Satoh, H. Kawase, T. Sato, “Evaluation of local site effects and their removal from borehole records observed in the Sendai region, Japan”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 85, No. 6, pp. 1770-1789, 1995
T. Hirai, T. Nagao, “A simple estimation method of the probability distribution of residual deformation of gravity type quay walls considering the variation of earthquake ground motion”, Fifth International Symposium on Life -Cycle Civil Engineering, Delft, The Netherlands, October 16-19, 2016
A. Petukhin, K. Irikura, S. Ohmi, T. Kagawa, “Estimation of q-values in the seismogenic and aseismic layers in the Kinki region, Japan, by elimination of the geometrical spreading effect using ray approximation”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 93, No. 4, pp. 1498-1515, 2003
T. Satoh, H. Kawase, T. Sato, “Statistical spectral model of earthquakes in the eastern Tohoku district, Japan, based on the surface and borehole records observed in Sendai”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 87, No. 2, pp. 446-462, 1997
T. Satoh, Y. Tatsumi, “Source, path, and site effects for crustal and subduction earthquakes inferred from strong motion records in Japan”, Journal of Structural and Construction Engineering (Transactions of AIJ), Vol. 67, No. 556, pp. 15-24, 2002 (in Japanese)
S. Kinoshita, “Kyoshin net (K-NET)”, Seismological Research Letters, Vol. 69, No. 4, pp. 309-332, 1998
S. Aoi, K. Obara, S. Hori, K. Kasahara, Y, Okada, “New strong-motion observation network: KiK-net”, Eos Transactions American Geophysical Union, Vol. 81, 2000
H. Fujiwara, S. Kawai, K. X. S. Hao, N. Morikawa, H. Azuma, “J-SHIS-An Integrated System for Sharing Information on National Seismic Hazard Maps for Japan”, 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile, January 9-13, 2017
K. Aki, “Scaling law of seismic spectrum”, Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 72, No. 4, pp. 1217-1231, 1967
S. Iai, “Seismic actions for designing geotechnical works-ISO23469”, Journal of Japan Association for Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 483-485, 2004
T. Nagao, M. Yamada, A. Nozu, “Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Analysis with Focus on Fourier Amplitude and Group Delay Time”, 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, September 24-28, 2012
MetricsAbstract Views: 216
PDF Downloads: 107
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- T. Nagao, D. Shibata, Experimental Study of the Lateral Spreading Pressure Acting on a Pile Foundation During Earthquakes , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 6 (2019): December, 2019
- T. Nagao, Seismic Amplification by Deep Subsurface and Proposal of a New Proxy , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 1 (2020): February, 2020
- T. Nagao, An Experimental Study on the Way Bottom Widening of Pier Foundations Affects Seismic Resistance , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 3 (2020): June, 2020
- T. Nagao, Y. Fukushima, Source- and Site-Specific Earthquake Ground Motions , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 4 (2020): August, 2020