Performance Evaluation of a Generator Differential Protection Function for a Numerical Relay
This paper describes the advantages and disadvantages of a generator differential protection relay system which uses double slope characteristics of Areva P343, ABB REG670, SEL300G and GE G60. A Buon Tua Srah Hydropower Plant in Vietnam was selected as an example for the relay setting calculations of these characteristics. The performance of the introduced relay model was tested at various fault conditions in Matlab/Simulink. The results apply to the problems of solving the performance of the relay accurately and with reliable differential protection against internal faults, and keeping the generator stable on all external faults and in normal conditions. The simulation simplifies the process of selecting the relay and protection system. This can improve the quality of the protection system design early, thereby reducing the number of errors found later in the operation.
Yu-Ting Huang, “Investigating the performance of generator protection relays using a real-time simulator”, The degree of Master of Science in Engineering, in the School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa. November 2013.
Donald Reimert,"Protection Relaying for Power Generation Systems", Taylor & Francis Group, Published in 2006.
IEEE Power Engineering Society, IEEE Guide for AC Generator Protection, IEEE Std C37.102™-2006.
ABB, "Generator protection REG670 Application manual", 2012.
ABB Engineering (Shanghai) Ltd, "G-T UNIT Protection Setting Calculations for Buon Tua Srah Hydro Power Plant", 2009.
Schneider Electric, "MiCOM 343 Generator Protection Relay - Technical Manual", 2011.
Ecidi - Alstom Consortium,"Se San 4 Hydropower Project 3*120mw Turbine Generator, 125rpm, 56.0m - Cscs System Protection Parameter Calculation, Vnss4-C3-9-001 /A”, 2010.
XJ Electricity Co., Ltd, "Generator relay protection setting calculation instruction", 2010.
SEL,"SEL-300G Multifunction Generator Relay Instruction Manual" 2018.
GE, "G60 Generator Protection System -Instruction Manual", 2015.
GE Grid Automation, “Application Book - CT Requirements for GE Multilin Relays”, 2016.
Ivo Brncic, Zoran Gajic, Stefan Roxenborg, “Adaptive differential protection for generators and shunt reactors”, ABB Power Technologies AB, Sweden, 2007.
Central Electrical Testing Company Limited, "The test record of current transformer 2500/1A, 5P20 30VA", 04/17/2014.
Kim Hung Le, Phan Huan Vu, “Testing and Evaluation of Factors Affecting the Current Transformer Saturation”, Journal of Science and Technology, Natural Science - Engineering - Technology, Thainguyen University, No 189 (13) 2018.
MetricsAbstract Views: 213
PDF Downloads: 127 Paper 2754: Proving reference file  Downloads: 0 Paper 2754: Proving reference file  Downloads: 0 Paper 2754: Proving reference file  Downloads: 0 Paper 2754: Proving reference file  Downloads: 0
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- K. H. Le, P. H. Vu, Effect Evaluation of Fault Resistance on the Operating Behavior of a Distance Relay , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2018): June, 2018
- K. H. Le, P. H. Vu, Performance Evaluation of Traveling Wave Fault Locator for a 220kV Hoa Khanh-Thanh My Transmission Line , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 4 (2018): August, 2018