Evaluation of Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) on Hyderabad Karachi M-9 Motorway Section
Pakistan is a developing country and its development depends upon its transports facilities. This paper describes the findings of a survey for the evaluation of road traffic accidents (RTAs) that focused on the Hyderabad-Karachi M-9 Motorway section. The objectives of the survey are the collection the data of traffic accidents including the human and property losses and the evaluation of RTAs causes. During a two year period (i.e. 2015 and 2016) it was revealed that 145 RTAs occurred on the motorway. In those RTAs, 109 persons died and 293 got injured and 251 vehicles were damaged. High risk percentages were recorded for both pedestrian and vehicle users.
Government of Pakistan, Ministry of Finance, Pakistan Economic Survey 2015-16, available at: http://www.finance.gov.pk/survey_
N. Jha, D. K. Srinivasa, G. Roy, S. Jagdish, “Epidemiological Study of Road Traffic Accident Cases: A study from South India”, Indian Journal of Community Medicine, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 20-24, 2004
G. Al-Haji, Road Safety Development Index: Theory, Philosophy and Practice, PhD Thesis, Linkoping University of Technology, 2007
R. R. Akkarro, “Peoples Opinion on the Causes of Road Accidents in selected places of Tanzania”, European Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.615-626, 2009
B. B. Pillai, K. Joseph, “Causes and consequences of road accidents in Kerala”, International Journal of Research in IT & Management, Vol. 1, pp. 83-95, 2011
M. M. Ruikar, “National Statistics on Road Traffic Accidents in India”, Journal of Orthopedics, Traumatology and Rehabilitation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2013
B. V. Sreekumar, V. Sreedevi, “Impact of Road Accidents in Kerala During 2001 to 2011-A Case Study”, Singaporean Journal of Scientific Research, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 51-57, 2014
P. Deshpande, “Road Safety and Accident Prevention in India”, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 64-68, 2014
L. Isen, A. Shibu, M. S. Saran, “Identification and Analysis of Black spots using Geographic information system”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp.131-139, 2013
A. Chand, “A case study of raod accidents in Kerala during 2010 to 2016”, International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering & Technology, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 199-203, 2017
World Health Organization(WHO), Word report on road traffic injury preventation: Summary, World Health Organization, 2004
MetricsAbstract Views: 424
PDF Downloads: 226
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- A. Detho, S. R. Samo, K. C. Mukwana, I. A. Memon, U. A. Rajput, Proposed Remedies to Prevent Road Traffic Accidents (RTAs) on Highways in Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 5 (2018): October, 2018
- S. R. Samo, N. Bhatti, A. Saand, M. A. Keerio, D. K. Bangwar, Temporal Analysis of Temperature and Precipitation Trends in Shaheed Benazir Abad Sindh, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- M. A. Keerio, N. Bhatti, S. R. Samo, A. Saand, A. A. Bhuriro, Ground Water Quality Assessment of Daur Taluka, Shaheed Benazir Abad , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2018): April, 2018
- A. R. Jatoi, A. Q. Jakhrani, K. C. Mukwana, A. N. Laghari, M. M. Tunio, Study of Physicochemical Properties of Commercial Drinking Bottled Water Brands , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 6 (2018): December, 2018
- A. A. Siyal, S. R. Samo, Z. A. Siyal, K. C. Mukwana, S. A. Jiskani, A. Mengal, Assessment of Air Pollution by PM10 and PM2.5 in Nawabshah City, Sindh, Pakistan , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 1 (2019): February, 2019
- S. H. Solangi, A. Q. Jakhrani, K. C. Mukwana, A. R. Jatoi, M. R. Luhur, Investigation of Quantity, Quality and Energy Content of Indigenous Sugarcane Trash in Naoshehro Feroze District, Sindh , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 8 No. 6 (2018): December, 2018
- A. A. Mahessar, K. Ansari, A. L. Qureshi, K. C. Mukwana, A. A. Pathan, S. M. Kori, Impact of Encroachment and Hyderabad City Effluents on Pinyari Canal , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 3 (2020): June, 2020
- A. R. Jatoi, S. R. Samo, A. Q. Jakhrani, Comparative Study of the Electrical Characteristics of Different Photovoltaic Modules in Outdoor Environment , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 9 No. 5 (2019): October, 2019
- K. A. Samo, I. A. Samo, Z. A. Siyal, A. R. H. Rigit, Determination of Potential Tidal Power Sites at East Malaysia , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 10 No. 4 (2020): August, 2020