Designing an Optimal Lightning Protection Scheme for Substations Using Shielding Wires
An optimal lightning protection scheme for a substation using shielding wires is investigated in this paper through computer software analysis. An economic approach is utilized by choosing a reasonable trade-off between protection, the number of shielding wires and the heights of them from the ground. This study is initially applied to a simple two-wire system and then extended to a sample substation. The solution for each problem is executed in MATLAB and 3-D realization is shown.
P. Sen, “Understanding direct lightning stroke shielding of substations”, Power Syst. Eng. Res. Center, PSERC Seminar, Colorado, November 6, 2001
F. A. M. Rizk, “Modeling of substation shielding against direct lightning strikes”, IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 3, pp. 664–675, 2010
K. L. V. Dung, “Lightning protection systems design for substations by using masts and Matlab”, International Journal of Mathematical, Computational, Physical, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 5, pp. 562-566, 2010
F. A. M. Rizk, “Exposure of overhead conductors to direct lightning strikes: modeling of positive streamer inhibition”, IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 1156–1165, 2011
S. Dedeoglu, S. Yilmaz, “Design and implementation of a programmable high-voltage impulse measurement system”, Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering & Computer Sciences, Vol. 22, pp. 262-275, 2014
A. M. Mousa, “Shielding of high-voltage and extra-high-voltage substations”, IEEE Trans. Power Appar. Syst., Vol. 95, No. 4, pp. 1303–1310, 1976
A. M. Mousa, R. J. Wehling, “A survey of industry practices regarding shielding of substations against direct lightning strokes,” IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 38–47, 1993
A. Hileman, Insulation coordination for power systems, CRC Press, 1999
A. H. A. Bakar, C. K. Tan, A. Z. Abidin, P. J. Khai, H. Mokhlis, H. A. Illias, “Comparative Study on substation shielding due to direct lightning strokes”, J. Power Energy Eng., Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 600–611, 2014
A. Mousa, “A computer program for designing the lightning shielding systems of substations,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 143-152, 1991
J. McDonald, Electric Power Substations Engineering, CRC Press, 2012
IEEE Std 998-1996, IEEE Guide for Direct Lightening Stroke Shielding of substations, 1996
MetricsAbstract Views: 641
PDF Downloads: 243
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- A. Safaei, S. H. Hosseinian, H. Askarian Abyaneh, Enhancing the HVRT and LVRT Capabilities of DFIG-based Wind Turbine in an Islanded Microgrid , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 6 (2017): December, 2017
- P. Ahmadi, M. H. Nazari, S. H. Hosseinian, Optimal Resources Planning of Residential Complex Energy System in a Day-ahead Market Based on Invasive Weed Optimization Algorithm , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 5 (2017): October, 2017