Hopf Bifurcation Control of Subsynchronous Resonance Utilizing UPFC
The use of a unified power flow controller (UPFC) to control the bifurcations of a subsynchronous resonance (SSR) in a multi-machine power system is introduced in this study. UPFC is one of the flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS) where a voltage source converter (VSC) is used based on gate-turn-off (GTO) thyristor valve technology. Furthermore, UPFC can be used as a stabilizer by means of a power system stabilizer (PSS). The considered system is a modified version of the second system of the IEEE second benchmark model of subsynchronous resonance where the UPFC is added to its transmission line. The dynamic effects of the machine components on SSR are considered. Time domain simulations based on the complete nonlinear dynamical mathematical model are used for numerical simulations. The results in case of including UPFC are compared to the case where the transmission line is conventionally compensated (without UPFC) where two Hopf bifurcations are predicted with unstable operating point at wide range of compensation levels. For UPFC systems, it is worth to mention that the operating point of the system never loses stability at all realistic compensation degrees and therefore all power system bifurcations have been eliminated.
W. Zhu, R. R. Mohler, R. Spce, W. A. Mittelstadt, D. Maratukulman, “Hopf Bifurcation in a SMIB Power System with SSR”, IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 1579-1584, 1996
A. M. Harb, Application of bifurcation theory to subsynchronous resonance in power systems, Doctoral Dissertation, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, USA, 1996
A. M. Harb, M. S. Widyan, “Modern nonlinear theory as applied to SSR of the IEEE second benchmark model”, IEEE Bologna Power Tech. 2003 Conf., Bologna, Italy, June 23–26, 2003
A. M. Harb, M. S. Widyan, “Chaos and bifurcation control of SSR in the IEEE second benchmark model”, Chaos, Solitons and Fractals Journal, Vol. 21, pp. 537–552, 2004
N.G. Hingorani, L. Gyugyi, Understanding FACTS, IEEE Press, New York, 2000.
Cigre/IEEE FACTS Working Group, FACTS Overview, IEEE Power Engineering Society, No. 95 TP108, 1995
C. A. Canizares, “Power Flow and Transient Stability Models of FACTS Controllers for Voltage and Angle Stability Studies”, Proceedings of the 2000 IEEE/PES Winter Meeting, Singapore, January, 2000
M. S. Widyan, “Controlling Chaos and Bifurcations of SSR Using TCSC”, International Journal of Modelling and Simulation, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 308-314, 2010
M. S. Widyan, “Controlling chaos and bifurcations of SMIB power system experiencing SSR phenomenon using SSSC”, International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 49, pp. 66–75, 2013
IEEE SSR Working Group, “Second Benchmark Model for Computer Simulation of Subsynchronous Resonance”, IEEE Trans. on Power Apparatus and Systems. Vol. PAS- 104, No. 5, 1057-1064, 1985
M. M. Alomari, B. S. Rodanski, “The Effects of Machine Components on Bifurcation and Chaos as Applied to Multi-machine System”, in: Topics on Chaotic Systems- Selected Papers from CHAOS 2008 International Conference, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd, 2009.
M. L. Kothari, N. Tambey, “Design of UPFC Controllers for a Multimachine System”, IEEE PES Power Systems Conference and Exposition, USA, October 10-13, 2004
A. Ali, A. Mehdi, “A multi-objective gravitational search algorithm based approach of power system stability enhancement with UPFC”, Journal of Central South University, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 1536-1544, 2013
A. Kumar, C. Sekhar, “Congestion management with FACTS devices in deregulated electricity markets ensuring laudability limit”, International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 46, pp. 258-73, 2013
A. N. Hussain, F. Malek, M. A. Rashid, L. Mohamed, I. Daut, “UPFC device application on power system oscillations to improve the damping performance”, 4th International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Engineering, pp. 830-837, China, March 30-31, 2013
A. N. Hussain, F. Malek, M. A. Rashid, L. Mohamed, N. A. Mohd Affendi, “Optimal coordinated design of multiple damping controllers based on PSS and UPFC device to improve dynamic stability in the power system”, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2013, pp. 1-15, 2013
A. Safari, “PSO algorithm for UPFC based output feedback damping controller”, International Journal of Control and Automation, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 33-46, 2013
A. Sode-Yome, N. Mithulananthan, K. Y. Lee, “Comprehensive comparison of FACTS devices for exclusive loadability enhancement”, IEEJ Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 8, No.1, pp. 7-18, 2013
B. Gopinath, S. S. Kumar, J. Michael, “Stability improvement in power systems using unified power flow controller (UPFC)”, International Conference on Energy Efficient Technologies for Sustainability, pp. 392-397, 2013
E. Gholipour, G. Isazadeh, "Design of a new adaptive optimal wide area IPFC damping controller in Iran transmission network," International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 529-539, 2013.
I. M. Wartana, J. G. Singh, W. Ongsakul, S. Sreedharan, “Optimal placement of FACTS controllers for maximising system loadability by PSO”, International Journal of Power and Energy Conversion, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 9-33, 2013
J. Khazaie, M. Mokhtari, S. Badkubi, M. Khalilian, D. Nazarpour, “Sub-synchronous resonance mitigation via distributed power flow controller”, International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems, Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 751-766, 2013
L. Gyugyo, T. R. Rietman, A. Edris, C. D. Schalider, D. R. Torgerson, S. L. Williams, “The Unified Power Flow Controller: a New Approach to Power Transmission Control”, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1085-1097, 1995
A. Nabavi-Niaki, M. R. Iravam, “Steady-State and Dynamic Models of Unified Power Flow Controller (UPFC) for Power System Studies”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 1937-1943, 1996
K. S. Smith, L. Ran, J. Penman, “Dynamic Modeling of a Unified Power Flow Controller”, IEE Proceedings-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 144, pp. 7-12, 1997
S. Limyingcharoen, U. D. Annakage, N. C. Pahalawaththa, ‘‘Effects of Unified Power Flow Controllers on Transient Stability”, IEE Proceedings-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 145, pp. 182-188, 1998
W. Bo, Z. Yan, “Damping Subsynchronous Oscillation Using UPFC - A FACTS Device”, Proc. Int. Conf. Power System Technology, Vol. 4, China, October 13-17, 2002
K. R. Padiyar, A. M. Kulkarni, “Control Design and Simulation of Unified Power Flow Controller”, IEEE Trans. Power Deliv. Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1348–1354, 1998.
K. Sen Kalyan, J. Stacy Eric, , “UPFC - Unified Power Flow Controller: Theory, Modelling and Applications”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 1453–1460, 1998
M. Schauder, “Vector Analysis and Control of Advanced Static VAR Compensators”, IEE Proceedings-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Vol. 140, No. 4, pp. 299–306, 1993
K. R. Padiyar, N. Prabhu, “Analysis of Subsynchronous Resonance with Three-Level 12-Pulse VSC Based SSSC”, IEEE Power System Stability and Control-TENCON 2003 Conference, pp. 76–80, October 14–17, 2003
R. W. Menzis, Y. Zhuang, “Advanced Static Compensation Using A Multilevel GTO Thyristor Inverter”, IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 732–738, 1995
J. B. Ekanayake, N. Jenkins, “Mathematical Models of a Three-Level Advanced Static Var Compensator”, IEE Proc. Generat. Transm. Distrib. Vol. 144, No. 2, pp. 201–206, 1997
K. R. Padiyar, Power System Dynamics - Stability and Control, second ed., B.S. Publications, Hyderabad, 2002
C. D. Schauder, L. Gyugyi, M. R. Lund, D. M. Hamai, T. R. Rietman, D. R. Torgerson, A. Edris, “Operation of the Unified Power Flow Controller (UPFC) Under Practical Constraints”, IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 630–639, 1998
B. A. Renz, A. S. Mehraben, C. Schauder, E. Stacey, L. Kovalsky, L. Gyugyi, A. Edris, “AEP Unified Power Flow Controller Performance”, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 1374–1381, 1999
K. Esakki Shenbaga Loga, S. Umayal, T. C. Asha Raghavan, “Mitigation of Subsynchronous Resonance in Series Compensated Wind Farm Using UPFC and ANN with Back Propagation Algorithm”, International Journal of Engineering Research and General Science, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2015
MetricsAbstract Views: 378
PDF Downloads: 100
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain the copyright and grant the journal the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) after its publication in ETASR with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- L. Caccetta, M. Alameen, M. Abdul-Niby, An Improved Clarke and Wright Algorithm to Solve the Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 3 No. 2 (2013): April, 2013
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Farhat, M. Abdullah, A. Nazzal, A Low Cost Automated Weather Station for Real Time Local Measurements , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2017): June, 2017
- M. Farhat, J. Munisami, M. Abdul-Niby, M. Nahas, A Compact Quint-Band Bandpass Filter Based on Stub-Loaded Resonators , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2017): June, 2017
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Farhat, M. Nahas, Μ. Μ. Alomari, A Compact Tri-Band Bandpass Filter with High Out-of-Band Rejection , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 7 No. 4 (2017): August, 2017
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, O. Irscheid, M. Baidoun, H. Mourtada, A Hands-Free Obstacle Detection and Avoidance System , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 5 No. 3 (2015): June, 2015
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, H. Baitie, A Simple Phase Shifting Technique for an Injection Locked Oscillator , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 6 (2016): December, 2016
- M. Abdul-Niby, M. Alameen, A. Salhieh, A. Radhi, Improved Genetic and Simulating Annealing Algorithms to Solve the Traveling Salesman Problem Using Constraint Programming , Engineering, Technology & Applied Science Research: Vol. 6 No. 2 (2016): April, 2016